CERTINA Formula Renault UK official pre season testing
Fortec Motorsport’s Jake Dennis this week topped the timesheets at Oulton Park across two days of official testing prior to the start of the CERTINA Formula Renault UK Championship.
Six drivers, four driving for Fortec Motorsport and two from Mark Burdett Motorsport, completed the two-day test in dry, if cloudy conditions at the Cheshire circuit.
Dunlop InterSteps Champion Dennis (Nuneaton) and fellow Fortec drivers Josh Hill (Farnham) and Shahaan Engineer (IND) all posted times in the 1m17s on both days, with Dennis’s 1:17.623 (posted in the fourth session yesterday) the fastest overall.
Recently announced BRDC SuperStar Josh Hill’s fastest time of 1:17.663, making him second-fastest driver in the test was posted in the last of four sessions today (Wednesday). Shahaan Engineer’s fastest lap of 1:17.811sec was set in his last session yesterday and sees him third quickest.
Fortec’s Dan De Zille (Jersey) managed a 1:17.876 yesterday, but couldn’t quite get into the 17s today, posting a 1:18.060, enough to see the Fortec team leave the 2.26-mile Oulton circuit with the four quickest drivers.
Mark Burdett Motorsport’s Josh Webster (Stowmarket) and Gabriel Casagrande (BRA) rounded out the two-day test with best lap times of 1:18.187 and 1:19.642 respectively. The 2011 RSF MSA Young Driver of the Year Webster’s time was set yesterday and saw him 0.564sec off of the front-runner.
However, 16-year-old Brazilian Casagrande’s times tumbled massively as he adjusted to his new machinery, setting his fastest lap in the final session of Wednesday; still 1.979sec off the front but an improvement on Tuesday when he was 3.082sec from Dennis’s pace.
Officially timed pre-season testing continues on Monday 19th and Tuesday 20th March at Brands Hatch, which is also the venue for the opening three rounds of the CERTINA Formula Renault UK Championship on 31st March/1st April.
Tuesday – Combined Classification – fastest in bold
1. Jake DENNIS 1:19.549 / 1:18.434 / 1:18.603 / 1:17.623s
2. Josh HILL 1:19.315 / 1:18.633 / 1:18.783 / 1:17.799s
3. Shahaan ENGINEER no time / 1:20.479 / 1:18.915 / 1:17.811s
4. Dan DE ZILLE 1:20.264 / 1:19.420 / 1:19.227 / 1:17.876s
5. Josh WEBSTER 1:19.278 / 1:18.825 / 1:18.512 / 1:18.187s
6. Gabriel CASAGRANDE 1:23.473 / 1:20.859 / 1:20.705s / no time
Wednesday – Combined Classification – fastest in bold
1. Josh HILL 1:18.285 / 1:18.840 / 1:18.318 / 1:17.663s
2. Jake DENNIS 1:18.023 / 1:17.918 / 1:18.300s / no time
3. Shahaan ENGINEER 1:18.564 / 1:18.395 / 1:18.417 / 1:17.947s
4. Dan DE ZILLE 1:19.208 / 1:18.687 / 1:18.562 / 1:18.060s
5. Josh WEBSTER 1:18.657 / 1:18.643 / no time / 1:18.148s
6. Gabriel CASAGRANDE 1:27.912 / 1:20.163 / 1:20.739 / 1:19.642
Media Invitation: The annual pre-season Media Day launch will be held at Brands Hatch Circuit, Kent on Tuesday 20 March – an opportunity to meet the championship’s star drivers prior to the opening race event of 2012. Media wishing to attend please email email@example.com
A full set of timing results and championship standings can be found here: www.tsl-timing.com
For further information: http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/championships/formularenaultuk/Default.aspx twitter.com/FRenaultUK | facebook.com/FRenault2.0UK | frenaultuk.wordpress.com Press images of the championship can be downloaded from: www.jakobebrey.com/renault Audio interviews: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/formula-renault-uk-audio-podcasts/id427665511