Fortec Motorsport’s Alex Lynn set the pace in testing today ahead of this weekend’s rounds seventeen and eighteen of the CERTINA Formula Renault 2.0 UK Championship at the famous Brands Hatch GP circuit in Kent.
Lynn, who currently leads the championship standings by 36 points from Atech Reid GP’s Tio Ellinas, topped the timesheets for both sessions, finishing ahead of Daniel Cammish (Mark Burdett Motorsport) and Ollie Rowland (Fortec Motorsports), who were second and third respectively in the morning and afternoon tests.
“Everything went reasonably well for me today,” said Lynn, who is this weekend aiming to beat James Matthews’ seventeen-year-old record of eleven wins in a season.
“I worked through the usual kind of programme that we do at a race weekend and tried quite a few set-up changes. I think that we have found a balance that works quite well. Hopefully we can have a good qualifying session tomorrow and get ourselves at the front of the grid.”
Yorkshireman Cammish was buoyed by his strong performance, especially after a poor performance at Brands Hatch circuit last year while racing in another championship.
“Today has been a very productive day of testing,” said Cammish. “I don’t have the best of memories from racing here last year, but it’s a brilliant track to drive in Formula Renault machinery. I’m pleased with the speed of the car and I think that we have done a good job.”
Racing Steps Foundation backed driver, Rowland was full of confidence going into testing having won his first CERTINA Formula Renault 2.0 UK race in the series at Rockingham a fortnight ago.
“I’m pleased to go P3 in both sessions,” said Graduate Cup leader, Rowland. “This morning we went out on used tyres so I was pleased with the way that the session went. I had a few moments on new tyres in the second session, but I think if you put the lap together it was reasonably good. We have a few areas to look at this evening and hopefully we can keep improving.”
The CERTINA Formula Renault 2.0 UK Championship gets underway with two qualifying sessions tomorrow, Saturday October 1st.
Both races take place on Sunday 2nd October with round 17 at 10:00 and round 18 at 15:35, the latter race featuring live on ITV4 and ITV4 HD.
Friday 30th September morning test times
1. Alex Lynn Fortec Motorsports 1:23.564
2. Daniel Cammish Mark Burdett Motorsport 1:23.906
3. Oliver Rowland Fortec Motorsports 1:24.001 G
4. Felix Serralies Fortec Competition 1:24.090
5. Tio Ellinas Atech Reid GP 1:24.302
6. Jordan King Manor Competition 1:24.435 G
7. Josh Hill Manor Competition 1:24.507
8. Ed Jones Fortec Competition 1:24.542
9. Dan Wells Atech Reid GP 1:24.652
10. Jack Hawksworth Mark Burdett Motorsport 1:24.852
Friday 30th September afternoon test times
1.Alex Lynn Fortec Motorsports 1:23.001
2. Daniel Cammish Mark Burdett Motorsport 1:23.359
3. Oliver Rowland Fortec Motorsports 1:23.368 G
4. Jordan King Manor Competition 1:23.376 G
5. Tio Ellinas Atech Reid GP 1:23.599
6. Josh Hill Manor Competition 1:23.669
7. Alice Powell Manor Competition 1:24.033 G
8. Alex Walker Fortec Motorsports 1:24.135 G
9. Mitchell Gilbert Fortec Motorsports 1:24.258 G
10. Felix Serralies Fortec Competition 1:24.611