Atech Reid GP’s Tio Ellinas and Fortec Competition’s Alex Lynn fired warning shots across each other’s bows in the Friday test sessions ahead of this weekend’s rounds 15&16 of the CERTINA Formula Renault 2.0 UK Championship at Rockingham.
Second in the championship Ellinas was the fastest in the morning practice session, despite an early issue with his car, whilst Lynn – currently leading the championship by 41 points – was quickest in the afternoon, and overall for the day.
“I’ve been working closely with my engineer all day, trying to find something extra out there,” said Lynn after setting his afternoon best of 1min 15.669secs. “I’m confident we’ll find some more time tomorrow.”
His championship rival, Ellinas, was fastest in the morning, despite everything not going quite to plan early on.
“At the beginning of the session I had a bit of an issue with the car,” explained Ellinas, who went on to set the sixth fastest time in the afternoon. “The team did a good job in getting me back on the pace.”
Fastest graduate Cup runner in the morning session was Fortec’s Mitchell Gilbert, whilst in the afternoon it was fellow Fortec fella, Oliver Rowland, who also set the second fastest time overall.
Elsewhere, Manor Competition’s Josh Hill found a massive amount of time between sessions, ending the afternoon as fourth fastest after ending the morning in tenth.
“We had a good session there,” he said afterwards. “I’m keen to get on the podium this weekend, but I’ve been in this situation before on a Friday, so I’m not going to jinx myself.”
This weekend the championship sees a new driver make his debut with Alex Walker joining Fortec Competition and setting the seventh fastest time in the afternoon session.
“My first test session in the car wasn’t too bad,” said Walker. “Last time I raced here at Rockingham I gained two victories in the Intersteps championship, so I’m hoping that over the duration of the weekend we can keep improving. Once I get a few laps under my belt I think there is definitely more time to be found.”
CERTINA Formula Renault 2.0 UK Championship action gets underway at Rockingham with two qualifying sessions at 10:20 and 14:30 on Saturday 17th September and two races on Sunday, with race 1 at 10:40 and race 2 at 16:00.
Friday 16th September morning test times
1. Tio Ellinas Atech Reid GP 1.15.899
2. Alex Lynn Fortec Motorsport 1.16.013
3. Mitchell Gilbert Fortec Motorsports 1:16.241 G
4. Oliver Rowland Fortec Motorsports 1:16.332 G
5. Jordan King Manor Competition 1.16.421 G
6. Jack Hawksworth Atech Reid GP 1.16.462
7. Alice Powell Manor Competition 1:16.544 G
8. Daniel Cammish Mark Burdett Motorsport 1:16.784
9. Oscar King Atech Reid GP 1:17.009 G
10. Josh Hill Manor Competition 1:17.010
Friday 16th September afternoon test times
1. Alex Lynn Fortec Motorsport 1.15.669
2. Oliver Rowland Fortec Motorsport 1:15.798 G
3. Jack Hawksworth Atech Reid GP 1.15.891
4. Josh Hill Manor Competition 1:16.105
5. Daniel Cammish Mark Burdett Motorsport 1.16.156
6. Tio Ellinas Atech Reid GP 1.16.200
7. Alex Walker Fortec Competition 1:16.289 G
8. Jordan King Manor Competition 1.16.419 G
9. Oscar King Atech Reid GP 1.16.524 G
10. Alice Powell Manor Competition 1:16.531 G