Fortec Motorsport’s Alex Lynn led a comprehensive lights to flag victory today in round thirteen of the Formula Renault 2.0 UK championship from team-mate Felix Serralles. Daniel Cammish (Mark Burdett Motorsport) was third and Oliver Rowland again took victory in the graduate class.
Championship leader Lynn comfortably brought his car home ahead of Serralles, by over two seconds, and it was the Puerto Rican driver who presented Lynn with the biggest challenge during the race.
The first five laps were highly paced and fastest lap times tumbled, however, Lynn remained calm and took his ninth win of the season. Lynn will start race two from pole position, the eleventh time he has qualified at the front of the pack this season.
“I had to work hard to stay in front for the first three corners as Felix kept me under quite a bit of pressure,” said a jubilant Lynn. “I managed to pump out some good lap times at the mid-way point of the race that enabled me to gain a gap.”
“Looking ahead to the second race, I’m feeling very confident that I can repeat this morning’s effort with another win.”
After the midpoint of the race, Serralles eased into position and did little to threaten Lynn’s chase for victory, but keeping his English rival honest until the very end of the race.
“I had a good start,” said a positive Serralles. “I was catching Lynn but I think that I pushed a bit too hard and over used my front tyres. However, I gained a podium position and I’m very pleased with that. Hopefully I can carry on from this performance to gain a top five finish in race two.”
Serralles, a non-championship entrant, enjoyed his best result of the season to date, but wasn’t eligible to score points. That promoted Cammish up to second, for his best result of the year too.
“It was a tough race for me today as I have had limited tine in the car around this circuit,” said
Cammish, clearly thrilled with his podium. “I made a good start and luckily got a bit of a helping hand when Tio and Ollie got a bit close which enabled me to leap into third position. It got quite close towards the end of the race, but I was fast enough in the right parts of the track. It’s great to be back on the podium.”
Fourth on the track, but third in the results was Tio Ellinas (Atech Reid GP). Lynn’s nearest rival for the championship had a tricky opening lap that saw him drop down to fifth, but the Cypriot would soon fight back. Firstly he had to get past Rowland, who was at the time enjoying a battle with Jordan and Oscar King (Manor Competition and Atech Reid GP respectively).
“I got off the line very well,” said Ellinas, who took Rowland two laps later. “I was challenging Felix in the first few corners but he was able to keep second. Shortly after I touched a kerb and the car went a little wide which dropped me back and left me challenging for fourth.
“Looking to this afternoon, we are starting second and I will try everything to win.”
Alice Powell was on top form, with a royal rumble of a move past Kings Jordan and Oscar to gain sixth, a position she would hold until the end of the race, and an impressive march from her grid position of twelfth.
Jordan King, almost a victor in the first race of the previous round at Snetterton, didn’t enjoy the same fortune in race one here at Silverstone as he struggled to sixth on the opening lap, only to drop down to ninth towards the end of the race.
Oscar King however, was buoyed by a positive result that saw the eighteen-year-old racing for a top six position.
Elsewhere, Mitchell Gilbert (Fortec Motorsports) slipped backwards after a tough first lap to finish ninth on the road, Josh Hill (Manor Competition) and Jack Hawksworth (Atech Reid GP) also struggled and finished eleventh and twelfth.
Follow the fortunes of the drivers in race two at 5:30 pm using our live text commentary stream on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/frenaultuk
Round thirteen race results
1. Alex Lynn Fortec Motorsport 26m 22.876s 13 laps
2. Felix Serralles Fortec Competition +2.543s
3. Daniel Cammish Mark Burdett Motorsport +6.126s
4. Tio Ellinas Atech Reid GP +6.491s
5. Oliver Rowland Fortec Motorsport +7.318s G
6. Alice Powell Manor Competition +14.958s G
7. Oscar King Atech Reid GP +16.354s G
8. Jordan King Manor Competition +20.176s G
9. Mitchell Gilbert Fortec Motorsports +20.697s G
10. Dan Wells Atech Reid GP +26.050s
11. Josh Hill Manor Competition +33.271s
12. Jack Hawksworth Atech Reid GP 34.252s
13. Pedro Calbimonte Fortec Motorsports + 4 laps
Round fourteen grid (set by second fastest time in qualifying session)
1. Alex Lynn Fortec Motorsport 1:59.556s
2. Tio Ellinas Atech Reid GP 2:00.041s
3. Oliver Rowland Fortec Motorsport 2:00.223s G
4. Felix Serralies Fortec Competition 2:00.413s
5. Daniel Cammish Mark Burdett Motorsport 2:00.473s
6. Jordan King Manor Competition +2:00.613s G
7. Mitchell Gilbert Fortec Motorsports 2:00.679s G
8. Jack Hawksworth Atech Reid GP 2:00.851s
9. Josh Hill Manor Competition 2:00.881s
10. Oscar King Atech Reid GP 2:01.122s G
11. Alice Powell Manor Competition 2:01.431s G
12. Dan Wells Atech Reid GP 2:01.605s
13. Pedro Calbimonte Fortec Motorsports 2:02.012s