Fortec Motorsport’s Alex Lynn took a double victory at Oulton Park today in rounds seven and eight of the Formula Renault 2.0 UK Championship to extend his lead in the title race and secure him an introduction to the Lotus Renault GP Team thanks to Lotus Motorsport.
Lynn drove peerlessly all weekend, converting yesterday’s double pole qualifying into today’s double race wins, despite precipitation-induced challenging track conditions on race day.
“I’m very happy after my performance this weekend and am delighted to head to Valencia to see the Lotus Renault GP Team in action,” said Lynn. “This morning the weather conditions were very difficult with the rain so the garage was very busy before the race.
“In this afternoon’s race Oliver got a very good start which meant that I had to respond. I did that by posting three or four fastest laps and by the end of the race his tyres had dropped off which enabled me to hold my lead.”
After his points from an earlier race win were reinstated – after an appeal over his exclusion for a technical issue was successful – Lynn now has a heady points lead of 48 over his nearest rival, Tio Ellinas. This lead means Lynn will visit this month’s European Grand Prix as a guest of Lotus Motorsport, where he will enjoy a two-day programme meeting key team members.
Second in this morning’s race was Mark Burdett Motorsport’s Jack Hawksworth. “I had really race pace from start to finish which meant that I was able to keep up with Alex and give him a run for his money,” he said.
Third meanwhile was previous championship points leader, Ellinas. “It was really hard to know what the weather was going to do today which make things a bit hard before the race,” said Ellinas, who went on to finish in fourth in the afternoon.
“I really wasn’t sure what the conditions were going to be like out there but I am very pleased to have gained another solid podium finish.”
The afternoon’s race saw Oliver Rowland take second, unable to take a late fight to Lynn, even after a second opportunity brought about by a late safety car period.
“I was very happy with the start that I made and I managed to put real pressure on Alex at the front,” said the Fortec driver, who finished fourth in the day’s earlier race. “Unfortunately, my tyres were too worn by the end of the race to compete with him, and I put that down to my relative inexperience.”
Fortec’s Mitchell Gilbert took the final podium place of the day. “I’m delighted to get on the podium here today as Oulton Park is a very challenging track,” said Mitchell, who finished in tenth in the earlier race.
“I was very pleased with the start that I made but unfortunately Ollie and Alex also made good starts ahead. I’m very pleased that I managed to keep up with the frontrunners and the podium really meant a lot for me.”
The championship resumes at North Yorkshire’s Croft circuit for rounds nine and ten on June 18-19.
Round seven top ten results
1. Alex Lynn Fortec Motorsport 15 laps
2. Jack Hawksworth Mark Burdett Motorsport + 1.786s
3. Tio Ellinas Atech Reid GP +5.606s
4. Oliver Rowland Fortec Motorsport +13.212s G
5. Oscar King Atech Reid GP +21.467s G
6. Dan Wells Atech Reid GP +23.236s
7. Daniel Cammish Mark Burdett Motorsport +23.412s
8. Josh Hill Manor Competition +24.392s
9. Alice Powell Manor Competition +25.364s G
10. Mitchell Gilbert Fortec Motorsport +25.911s G
Round eight top ten results
1. Alex Lynn Fortec Motorsport 15 laps
2. Oliver Rowland Fortec Motorsport +1.252s G
3. Mitchell Gilbert Fortec Motorsport +3.126s G
4. Tio Ellinas Atech Reid GP +3.784s
5. Felix Serralies Fortec Competition +5.091s
6. Alice Powell Manor Competition +5.383s G
7. Josh Hill Manor Competition +5.694s
8. Ollie Millroy Manor Competition +7.270s
9. Daniel Cammish Mark Burdett Motorsport +7.681s
10. Jordan King Manor Competition +10.384s
Championship standings after Oulton Park
1. Alex Lynn Fortec Motorsport 264 pts
2. Tio Ellinas Atech Reid GP 216 pts
3. Oliver Rowland Fortec Motorsport 170 pts G
4. Ollie Millroy Manor Competition 152 pts
5. Jack Hawksworth Mark Burdett Motorsport 151 pts
6. Josh Hill Manor Competition 126 pts
7. Mitchell Gilbert Fortec Motorsport 106 pts G
8. Oscar King Atech Reid GP 91 pts G
9. Jordan King Manor Competition 90 pts G
10. Alice Powell Manor Competition 90 pts G
Results and standings for media purposes only, of no regulatory value
A full set of timing results and championship standings can be found here: http://www.tsl-timing.com