Alex Lynn (Fortec) took the first win of the weekend of the Formula Renault 2.0 UK Championship today at a sun drenched Thruxton circuit. Lynn finished 1.6 seconds ahead of title rival Tio Ellinas (Atech Reid GP) and ten seconds ahead of team-mate, Oliver Rowland. Rowland’s last lap move on Oliver Millroy (Manor Competition) saw him take the Graduate Cup win too.
Lynn was dominant, but little separated the Fortec driver from rival Ellinas. Regularly exchanging times, Lynn set a new lap record on the second lap of the race, breaking Lewis Williamson’s previous 2010 record by three tenths of a second.
“We’ve been fast all weekend,” said Lynn. “Fortec have given me a great car and I enjoyed the drive home. The race was pretty straightforward and hopefully it’ll be the same tomorrow.”
Try as hard as he might, Ellinas was unable to beat Lynn, despite regularly posting faster laps than the leader for half the race.
“I’m very happy,” said points leader Ellinas. “I could see Alex ahead and tried to stay focused and keep up with him, but we were on a similar pace and I couldn’t close the gap. I’m looking forward to tomorrow, but I’m starting seventh, so have to try to recover.”
Ellinas and Jordan King battled hard on the opening lap and while King got the jump on King off the line, an incident towards the end of the first lap saw King get on the grass and spin. King re-joined, but could only manage a tenth placed finish.
“I got a good start and was alongside Lynn,” said King. “I knew it would be hard around the outside at the complex so I almost wanted him to have a better start so I could just slot in behind him. Heading down the straight Tio turned towards me and put me on the grass. The next thing I knew I had the whole field coming towards me.”
Elsewhere, Oliver Rowland made amends for a difficult qualifying result, a clean pass on Jack Hawksworth (Mark Burdett Motorsport) on lap eight, and then a last lap manoeuvre on third-placed Millroy, made the Racing Steps Foundation driver driver’s day.
“That definitely made up for qualifying,” he said. “That was a mega race, I think I was down in eight at one point, but got up to third. There were cars everywhere. Dan Wells and Jordan King both span in front of me. The car came to me as the race went on, and I was able to make up places.”
Josh Hill (Manor Competition) had made a flying start and soon found himself in fourth place, having profited from the demise of Jordan King.
Within two laps Hill was half a second off the back of teammate, Alice Powell. At the end of lap four, heading towards the chicane, Hill made a move and ended up hitting the rear of Powell’s car. The move ended Powell’s race instantly and while Hill carried on, it wasn’t without a trip to the pits for a new nose cone at the end of the same lap.
“I made up places and caught up with Alice,” said Hill. “Going into the chicane I misjudged my braking. We were going side by side – which isn’t a great situation going into there. I tried to slow down, but couldn’t. I had to go somewhere and I hoped that she’d nicked through. But in the end it ruined both our races.”
Race two of the Formula Renault 2.0 UK Championship can be viewed live on ITV4 and ITV4 HD tomorrow at 3:05pm BST.
Race one top ten results
1. Alex Lynn Fortec Motorsport 15 laps
2. Tio Elinas Atech Reid GP +1.606s
3. Oliver Rowland Fortec Motorsport +11.855s G
4. Ollie Millroy Manor Competition +12.292s
5. Mitchell Gilbert Fortec Motorsport +13.552 G
6. Jack Hawksworth Mark Burdett Motorsport +13.630s
7. Pedro Pablo Calbimonte Fortec Motorsport +17.350s
8. Dan Wells Atech Reid GP +21.692s
9. Oscar King Atech Reid GP +27.207s G
10. Jordan King Manor Competition +49.570s G
Race one top ten qualifying times
1. Alex Lynn Fortec Motorsport 1:08.736s
2. Jordan King Manor Competition 1:08.797s G
3. Tio Ellinas Atech Reid GP 1:09.203s
4. Jack Hawksworth Mark Burdett Motorsport 1:09.217s
5. Alice Powell Manor Competition 1:09.267s G
6. Oliver Rowland Fortec Motorsport 1:09.286s G
7. Ollie Millroy Manor Competition 1:09.522s
8. Josh Hill Manor Competition 1:09.548s
9. Dan Wells Atech Reid GP 1:09.644s
10. Pedro Pablo Calbimonte Fortec Motorsport 1:09.689s
Race two top ten qualifying times
1. Alex Lynn Fortec Motorsport 1:08.911s
2. Alice Powell Manor Competition 1:09.307s G
3. Oliver Rowland Fortec Motorsport 1:09.311s G
4. Pedro Pablo Calbimonte Fortec Motorsport 1:09.407s
5. Jordan King Manor Competition 1:09.544s G
6. Ollie Millroy Manor Competition 1:09.587s
7. Tio Ellinas Atech Reid GP 1:09.625s
8. Mitchell Gilbert Fortec Motorsport 1:09.665s G
9. Josh Hill Manor Competition 1:09.698
10. Jack Hawksworth Mark Burdett Motorsport 1:09.700
A full set of timing results can be found here: www.tsl-timing.com