Fortec Motorsport’s Alex Lynn and Manor Competition’s Jordan King set the pace at Hampshire’s Thruxton race track on the practice test day ahead of this weekend’s third round of the Formula Renault 2.0 UK Championship.
Lynn had a margin of two tenths at the top of the timing screens for both of the sessions from King with Mark Burdett Motorsport’s Jack Hawksworth third both times out.
“I’m really pleased and everything went to plan today,” said 18 year-old Lynn. “I made my Formula Renault race debut here last season so it is good to return here with experience under my belt. We were fastest here at the pre-season test so I’m expecting good things from this weekend.”
Second-fastest today, Jordan King was buoyed by his strong performance. “Today was testing, but if we end qualifying tomorrow with two second fastest times I’ll be very happy,” said the 18 year-old.
“It’s going to be an interesting weekend as there’s the factor of the tow here, so if you’re at the front, you need to break away from the following cars. I think the first few corners after the starts should be especially interesting.”
Whilst King reckons slipstreaming will be the name of the game in Saturday’s and Sunday’s races, Lynn reckons that tyre degradation from Michelin’s slicks will be a significant factor.
“The sidepods on the Formula Renault 2.0 are very slippery so it’s not as easy to slipstream as in some other categories,” says Lynn.
“Tyre degradation, however, is going to be something to watch in the races as if you push hard from the off you’ll find that your lap time will drop by over 1.5 seconds by the end of the race because of the abrasive track surface here. You have to really use your head here.”
Round three of the Formula Renault 2.0 UK Championship gets underway with two qualifying sessions tomorrow, Saturday April 30 followed by race one at 17:40. Race two takes place on Sunday May 1 at 15:05.
Test times – am
1. Alex Lynn Fortec Motorsport 1:08.509s
2. Jordan King Manor Competition 1:08.708s G
3. Jack Hawksworth Mark Burdett Motorsport 1:08.861s
4. Oliver Rowland Fortec Motorsport 1:08.861s G
5. Ollie Millroy Manor Competition 1:08.988s
6. Tio Elinas Atech Reid GP 1:09.322s
7. Alice Powell Manor Competition 1:09.336s G
8. Mitchell Gilbert Fortec Motorsport 1:09.434s G
9. Pedro Pablo Calbimonte Fortec Motorsport 1:09.583s
10. Dan Wells Atech Reid GP 1:09.936s
Test times – pm
1. Alex Lynn Fortec Motorsport 1:08.678s
2. Jordan King Manor Competition 1:08.832s G
3. Jack Hawksworth Mark Burdett Motorsport 1:08.886s
4. Tio Elinas Atech Reid GP 1:08.911s
5. Oliver Rowland Fortec Motorsport 1:08.950s G
6. Josh Hill Manor Competition 1:09.061s
7. Alice Powell Manor Competition 1:09.084s G
8. Ollie Millroy Manor Competition 1:09.320s
9. Mitchell Gilbert Fortec Motorsport 1:09.446s G
10. Pedro Pablo Calbimonte Fortec Motorsport 1:09.692s
A full set of timing results can be found here: www.tsl-timing.com